SANCTUARY
I’m crouched behind the mulberry tree outside my house, knowing he’ll arrive soon.
He’s breached my house before. Knows what lies inside and desires more. I’ve thwarted his recent attempts, but no capture.
A watchful opportunist, his advances are skillfully timed, but I soon catch movement, creeping from tree-line to bush until he’s within striking distance. My size isn’t always on my side. Speed is matched.
I leap, landing short. He gains as we skid around the perimeter, I squeeze through bamboo clusters gaining on the back stairway. He’s made the deck rail. Sprints its length. Cuts its corners with remarkable prowess.
Launching off the barbecue he clutches the Kudzu-wrapped drainpipe to access the roof. I launch right after, clawing the eave for purchase.
He’s cornered, tail snaking, whiskers twitching, eyes betraying his fate. I’m hunkered. Ready to spring, when a screech from my nightmares precedes great black talons that sweep above his trembling form, widening on approach.
I launch myself over the roof’s edge into thin air, hitting a step-ladder mid-way. Rolling sideways, ribs screaming, my four feet hit decking. Talons sweep again, banking above as I make for the flap in the patio door. Feathers crash against glass, floating silently downward.
There was a similar day, long ago, when passing through this opening first offered my hungry, beaten soul, sanctuary. Once cornered inside, gentle hands stroked and brushed my matted fur. Fed and tended me. Gave me shelter.
I am Levi. The ever loyal.
Tomorrow, I patrol again.
~taree Belardes
Jan. 19, 2025
NYC Midnight 250 word Micro comp
Group 4
action/adventure
action to include; rubbing
word to include; pass
250 words. 48 hrs.
Jan. 2025

No comments:
Post a Comment