Wednesday, July 30, 2025

BEGGARS BANQUET (Dec. 2022)

 

 


 

BEGGAR’S BANQUET

FEE-FI-FO-FUM 

IT SMELLS THE SOULS OF THE EDIBLE ONES. 


 

The moon was a sliver of silver

The leaves flickered umber and gold

From a fire in a ring

Of stones gathered to bring

Out the goosebumps on campers quite bold. 



The Forest rose up all around us

Chocolate, grahams, with marshmallows turned brown

‘Twas a circle of friends

Sharing life’s dividends

Talking HooDoo as midnight rolled round.

 

Manuka was holding us captive

Spinning tales that she'd read on the vine

All of dark renaissance

And with some nonchalance

She embellished with details sublime. 

 

Her tales of dark deeds and cruel mischief

Captured fears left behind in our youth

Like those beasts under beds

Monsters hiding in sheds

That when grown up, no longer seduce.

 

Her narration soon provoked shivers                                 

As the terrors revealed became vast

And our goosebumps grew large

With Manuka in charge

Till we begged that she end this, at last.

 

She tittered with some satisfaction

Having caused us this level of fright

Chuckled, “Just wait my friends,

For before this night ends

Legends say you will pay with your life!”


Moments later, approaching with menace

Something eerie and loathsome did creep       

Where calm shadows had slept

Now they slithered and lept-

out, to lick at the souls of our feet.

 

Josh was the first one to sense it

Snatching back both his legs from dark

Something flickered wherever

The shadows did tether

As if seeking a body to mark.

Next, a rustling came the tree-line

Something nameless and crude in its form

Appeared yielding a scythe

While increasing its heighth

Like a hideously gathering storm.

 

Our fright was reflected in firelight

As its dark shape enveloped the moon

Josh, pale as a ghost         

Stammered, “This is our host.

And I think I am facing my doom.”

 

Beholding the angst in his features

We shrank back, as he rose to his feet

Then raising his eyes

To the unholy skies

Simply dropped to the earth in defeat.

 

The horror gave one mighty wallop

Which connected Josh’s jaw with a thwack

Gave an ominous growl

Whispered, “I’ll have you now!

As the ground at their feet turned to black.

 

Blood dripped from Josh’s eye sockets

The rivulets now claiming his face

Natasha was screaming

Manuka was keening

As I dragged them away from this place.

 

Moonlight lit up the clearing behind us

Where just minutes before friendships shined.

As we ran for our lives

Many more shapes arrived

And on poor Josh’s body they dined.

 

The sound of bones crunching grotesquely

Formed a cadence that soon hypnotized

It took hold of our feet

Which then slowed our retreat

Giving chance for the shadows to rise

 

They stretched out their fingers toward us.

We stood as if frozen in time

Somehow grasping their goal

Was to feast on the soul

Ripped from whatever flesh they can find.

 

Manuka’s slim body just stiffened

Her eyes beseeched mine to intrude

But some ancient reflex

Told me I would be next,

And I sacrificed her for their food.

 

Natasha put up fierce resistance

Fighting hard, she was mauled until dead

But she offered a treat

Besides only her meat

With a marshmallow stuck to her head.

 

A host of gaunt eyes turned towards me

With jowls clacking, I whirled and I fled

Our s’mores were the least

Of their grizzly feast

I left both my companions for dead.

 

My nightmares have gotten much tamer

I am able to sleep now, sometimes

For the beast neath my bed

These days lives in my head

Where it rocks me to sleep as it dines


~By Taree Belardes 

 

NYC MIDNIGHT

RHYMING STORY Comp.  12/2022 Rnd. 1 

Genre; Horror

Theme; Anonymous

Emotion; Anxious

H589 Group 77 


 

No comments: