THE FINE PRINT
Don't forget to read it!
Creative corporate person-hood goes awry
The
fact that I needed an F.B.I. clearance and a non-disclosure agreement to work a
private party at the Met told me two things. I’d be serving a bunch of elite
tightwads who’d run my ass ragged without ever looking me in the eye or
acknowledging anything but my servitude and I’d be earning minimum wage. The
activist in me rebelled. The broke waitress hoped to get paid in time to cover
the shoes I’d ordered earlier on the Jungleland Ordering System Site (JOSS),
before my rent check bounced.
I
was right outside the event when my cell vibrated…Order out for delivery…We are…blah blah blah… Awesome! And
fast! When I get home, a pair of ankle straps would be waiting!
I hit “Accept” and shoved the phone back in my bra.
I hit “Accept” and shoved the phone back in my bra.
Inside,
smoothing the skirt of the low-cut, streetwalker-red maid’s uniform, I found my
assigned station manned by a not-surprisingly hunky bartender.
"Suzie,”
I said, “Yours for the night.”
“Brad,” he smiled, “At your service.”
“Brad,” he smiled, “At your service.”
“So,
Brad, who’re we schlepping for?”
“Government.
Big mucky-mucks.” Did I detect disdain?
A
man wagged his finger at me. I plastered on my million-dollar smile and
approached.
“Chatov on the rocks, and take your time walking away, honey,” he said.
Shielding my backside with my tray, I returned to the bar. “He wants Chatov,” I told Brad.
“Asshole!” Brad said. “He knows Chatov’s an illegal import. Take this, he won’t know the difference.”
A tall man wearing a festive crown tapped a microphone.
“Welcome to the Office of Corporate Planning’s New Year’s Soirée! Why are we here?”
I raised my eyebrows at Brad, who shrugged.
“Chatov on the rocks, and take your time walking away, honey,” he said.
Shielding my backside with my tray, I returned to the bar. “He wants Chatov,” I told Brad.
“Asshole!” Brad said. “He knows Chatov’s an illegal import. Take this, he won’t know the difference.”
A tall man wearing a festive crown tapped a microphone.
“Welcome to the Office of Corporate Planning’s New Year’s Soirée! Why are we here?”
I raised my eyebrows at Brad, who shrugged.
“Because
public opposition to our corporate personhood status is rampant,” he began.
“Protecting our status will involve new strategies. Re-inventing
interpretations of the fine print within the current law is necessary. Tonight
is about forming progressive and creative relationships…and the party’s on the
taxpayers!”
Cheers rang out.
Cheers rang out.
“Table
assignments are algorithm-based to consider highest association benefits. How
can we best serve each other before Janurary first?. ”
Handshakes
crisscrossed the tablecloths as corporate heads cozied up to their tablemates.
“Lastly,” Henry interjected, “the gift exchange takes place at eleven sharp. I trust your contributions are extravagant enough to garner the highest possible yield in terms of tax relief!”
“Gift exchange?” execs whispered. “…nobody mentioned…”
“Lastly,” Henry interjected, “the gift exchange takes place at eleven sharp. I trust your contributions are extravagant enough to garner the highest possible yield in terms of tax relief!”
“Gift exchange?” execs whispered. “…nobody mentioned…”
Texts to harried assistants instructed to “spare no
expense” shot like missiles into cyberspace.
I imagined JOSS’s 3-note musical logo cascading across the universe like
tumbling wind chimes.
“How’s your eavesdropping skills?” Brad asked, loading my tray with exotic wines and spirits.
“I know a good thing when I hear it,” I answered, heaving it off the bar. Practicing subservience with a smile, I weaved in and out of wafting cigar smoke and clinking glasses, taking orders and countering unwanted advances. My naturally curious nature took in the cornucopia of devious conspiracies it overheard, designed to cheat the common folk in the coming year.
“How’s your eavesdropping skills?” Brad asked, loading my tray with exotic wines and spirits.
“I know a good thing when I hear it,” I answered, heaving it off the bar. Practicing subservience with a smile, I weaved in and out of wafting cigar smoke and clinking glasses, taking orders and countering unwanted advances. My naturally curious nature took in the cornucopia of devious conspiracies it overheard, designed to cheat the common folk in the coming year.
Love bloomed abruptly between Oklahoma Oil and Worldwide Environmental Investigations. An illegal, non-denominational wedding was officiated, under the theory that a corporate wife couldn’t testify against a corporate husband. When that revelation swept the room, the game was on! People entered and exited the marriage corner like an outhouse flanking a chili cook-off.
“Can you believe this?” I asked.
“They’re perverting the system,” Brad snarled. His passion surprised me.
He
nodded toward a table where I subsequently found Meridian Cell and Santiago
Optics vying for adoption rights to Calistoga Tower Construction, for access to
inheritance laws.
I was reaching over a frocked gentleman when my cleavage began to jiggle and buzz. “What the hell?” My phone had been off. I silenced the alert. Back at the bar, Brad paused in mid pour.
“Your tits are twitching.”
I fished my phone back out. It was on.
“It won’t stay off!” I cried, shoving it at Brad.
I was reaching over a frocked gentleman when my cleavage began to jiggle and buzz. “What the hell?” My phone had been off. I silenced the alert. Back at the bar, Brad paused in mid pour.
“Your tits are twitching.”
I fished my phone back out. It was on.
“It won’t stay off!” I cried, shoving it at Brad.
“You’ve
got a JOSS delivery.”
“I know. It should be waiting when I get home.”
“You clicked accept?” he looked stricken.
“Yes.”
“Didn’t you read the fine print?”
“I know. It should be waiting when I get home.”
“You clicked accept?” he looked stricken.
“Yes.”
“Didn’t you read the fine print?”
“What
fine print?”
“We
are testing new technology,” he read, “which utilizes cellular GPS to target
location. By accepting, user agrees
to turn over operating system and GPS function to JOSStech for real time
delivery.”
“What does that even mean?”
“What does that even mean?”
It
buzzed again.
“JOSS’s
taken over your…” Brad began, when a drone clutching a cardboard box came
crashing through the Atrium window. It circled the room, dipping over guests
like a drug-sniffing pigeon before razing the bar and dropping its box at my
feet.
Four
hundred eyes turned on me. Brad hurtled the bar like a defending lineman. The air
began to buzz, which I misinterpreted as a sign I would swoon. Brad’s eyes
dropped again to my bust-line.
It wasn’t me!
It wasn’t me!
The
sound, like a horde of hornets, grew louder as agitated partygoers began poking
their phones and dozens of drones seeking their coordinates came smashing
through glass from all directions, colliding in mid-air. I wasn’t the only one
to miss the fine print.
They jockeyed for airspace and tangled in
chandeliers. JOSS packages rained down, overturning punchbowls, toppling
centerpieces, sinking in guacamole, knocking people unconscious. Chaos reigned.
Brad ushered me and my box out of the pandemonium into the street, while speed-dialing his mother.
Brad ushered me and my box out of the pandemonium into the street, while speed-dialing his mother.
“Mom!
I’m early! Order dessert!
Awwww.
Awwww.
I
was poised for goodbye when he jerked me into the shadows. Black ops vehicles converged,
spilling commandos who stormed the Met. When they exited again, handcuffed party-goers
marched single file.
“What just happened?” I gasped. “How’d they know?”
“What just happened?” I gasped. “How’d they know?”
“Maybe
mom told them,” Brad smiled, flipping me a card;
M.U.M.
Mopping
up Muck
in America
in America
“You’re
an underground SPY?” I marveled. “Ok, satisfy my curiosity,” I continued, watching
the buxom woman in the tight black dress being led away. “I understood the
benefits of all those corporate weddings except one. Nerds and Hookers. Explain
what possible advantage was garnered by that union between Pussycats Unlimited
and Genius International?”
“Trophy wives.” Brad said with a knowing wink.
“Trophy wives.” Brad said with a knowing wink.
~By taree
Belardes
NYC
Flash Fiction Competition 2017 (Final round entry)
Genre: Open
Location: An office holiday party Object: A UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle)
Word limit: 1000 Time limit: 48 hrs
Location: An office holiday party Object: A UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle)
Word limit: 1000 Time limit: 48 hrs

1 comment:
This hooked me in so fast. First, I thought, this feels like a cool story then the bartender guy and the drones...rad stuff!!
Where did you get this idea from? Or is one of those that just come? Sometimes, writers don't know-ideas just seem to show up but other times they are inspired by something.
Great story.
Post a Comment