A
young girl and her sister determine what Mommy needs to know based on their own
perceptions of danger.
Amy
tried to silence the pounding of her heart as twigs crackled in the dark distance. If she could just keep Megan
quiet a little longer under the ruse of Hide and Seek, maybe Lenny would just
pass out, or give up and go home. She wished for rain, hoping he get struck by lightning.
***
Amy’s mom was in her uniform ready for work when the babysitter cancelled. “Shit! Now what am I gonna do?” She spoke half to herself and half to her boyfriend, Lenny, whose drunk ass was sprawled in front of their TV. Maybe if Amy’s real dad had treated her better, she wouldn’t be looking at him with those pleading eyes like he was her white knight, instead of the alcoholic who’d puked three times on their sofa.
“I’ll
stick around—watch the girls,” he said, turning to leer drunkenly at Amy. “Amy loves
it when I tuck her in at night, don’cha, Amy? Megs will too, now that she has a
bedroom of her own.” Amy
stiffened as Lenny jerked his ugly head towards seven-year-old Megan, playing quietly
with her music box. “A room of her own.”
Lenny’s words chilled her.
“Mom! Call another babysitter!” Amy cried.
“No time, honey!”
“But Mom!”
“Mom! Call another babysitter!” Amy cried.
“No time, honey!”
“But Mom!”
“ENOUGH,
AMELIA! Len, you’re my hero!” She blew him a kiss and vanished out the door.
There
was a look of triumph on Len’s face as he poured himself more tequila.
“Here’s
to a magical night of fun and games!”
Amy’s
nails dug into her palms. In her head, Lenny’s warning played again.
“If you ever tell anyone, your mother is dead.
I mean it—dead. Now quit cryin’ and do what I say.”
Megan
was oblivious to the room’s dark undercurrent, mesmerized by the miniature figure
skater pirouetting in a pink tutu, her tiny skates glinting silver in a
mirrored pond. Safe in her own dream, Megan sang along to the melody-
“A
dream is a wish your heart makes…”
Amy
knew as she sat, hugging her knees, watching, waiting, for Lenny to empty his bottle,
her little sister was far from safe tonight.
“Whaddaya
say we play a little game, girls?”
“Hide and Seek!” Amy shouted.
“Sure…fun.”
“Hide and Seek!” Amy shouted.
“Sure…fun.”
Len chuckled, as Amy yanked Megan up off the floor.
“I’m only counting to twenty!”
They
were only halfway down the hall before Lenny hauled himself off the couch. Amy steered
her sister into the room smelling of fresh paint and Easy Bake oven, locking
them both inside.
“I’m coming for youuuu!” Len sang in a creepy voice that reminded her of the axe man in that movie she wasn’t supposed to watch. Megan giggled in anticipation.
Amy heard him lumber up the hallway, tensing when the doorknob twisted, left, right, left, right.
“I know you’re in there, little pigs, let me in!”
“Not by the hair of--” Amy clapped her hand over Megan’s mouth.
“Shush!” she commanded. “Don’t give us away!”
“Open up!” Len shouted. Amy tightened her grip on Megan.
“I’m coming for youuuu!” Len sang in a creepy voice that reminded her of the axe man in that movie she wasn’t supposed to watch. Megan giggled in anticipation.
Amy heard him lumber up the hallway, tensing when the doorknob twisted, left, right, left, right.
“I know you’re in there, little pigs, let me in!”
“Not by the hair of--” Amy clapped her hand over Megan’s mouth.
“Shush!” she commanded. “Don’t give us away!”
“Open up!” Len shouted. Amy tightened her grip on Megan.
“Well,
you asked for it!” Len shouted, then threw himself hard against the door.
“He’s gonna break my door!”
With a finger to her lips, Amy motioned towards the window. They were outside and partway up the back hill when the splintering of wood reverberated into the night.
“I think he really broke it!” Megan cried.
Amy pulled Megan along as fast as she could. She knew her destination. The girls had watched it being built on the hilltop. A radio tower designed to look just like a tree, camouflaged, her mother said, to blend into the environment.
“He’s gonna break my door!”
With a finger to her lips, Amy motioned towards the window. They were outside and partway up the back hill when the splintering of wood reverberated into the night.
“I think he really broke it!” Megan cried.
Amy pulled Megan along as fast as she could. She knew her destination. The girls had watched it being built on the hilltop. A radio tower designed to look just like a tree, camouflaged, her mother said, to blend into the environment.
After
the builders left, the girl’s investigations turned up something fun. A little
door that opened into the hollow trunk of the tower. A secret place, like a
little hobbit house with a ladder inside to the top. A place to play, to hide, a
safe place.
Amy pounded up the hill, now half-dragging Megan. Lenny was gaining, making it hard to pretend this was still a game.
Amy pounded up the hill, now half-dragging Megan. Lenny was gaining, making it hard to pretend this was still a game.
“Girls,
it’s really daaark out here!” he called, “Don’t you wanna come home for ice
cream?”
“I do!” Megan cried, her voice breaking. “Don’t you, Amy?”
“Hush! We have to get to the magic tree before he catches up!”
“But what if Mommy comes home?” Megan gasped, “And can’t find us?”
“We’ll send her a secret message! We’re almost there! Run!”
“Amy, you little bitch! I’ll make you sorry you ever…OOOF! DAMN IT! You’re gonna be sorry!”
“He’s scaring me, Amy!”
“I do!” Megan cried, her voice breaking. “Don’t you, Amy?”
“Hush! We have to get to the magic tree before he catches up!”
“But what if Mommy comes home?” Megan gasped, “And can’t find us?”
“We’ll send her a secret message! We’re almost there! Run!”
“Amy, you little bitch! I’ll make you sorry you ever…OOOF! DAMN IT! You’re gonna be sorry!”
“He’s scaring me, Amy!”
“Get
IN, Megs!”Amy cried, yanking the treehouse door open, then tight shut
behind them. “Now be really quiet.” Amy was breathing hard as she pulled Megs
into her arms.
Outside,
leaves crackled, just yards away.
“Amy,” Megan whined softly, “C-can’t we just give up?”
“Shush, Megs, we have to win this game. If you help me win, I promise, ice cream. Ok?”
“Amy,” Megan whined softly, “C-can’t we just give up?”
“Shush, Megs, we have to win this game. If you help me win, I promise, ice cream. Ok?”
“Ameee…I’m
going to find you! I’m not fucking around here.”
She
could see Lenny through a crack, swaying in the pale moonlight.
“Come
on, Megeee…your mommy says come home! Don’t listen to Ameee.”
“Mommy’s home!”
“Mommy’s home!”
“Shhh!
She’s not really.”
Megan slumped, shoving her hands into her pockets.
Megan slumped, shoving her hands into her pockets.
“A dreeeaam is a wish—”
The
music box! Megan brought it with her! They tried to quiet the spinning dancer
but she broke off in Megan's hand. Lenny was on them in seconds.
The
door nicked open.
“GOTCHA!”
He
lunged. Megan squealed, thrusting her hands forward in defense. Lenny
stiffened, then stumbled back, covering his face.
“AAAAIIIIIEEEEEEE”! What the fuck did you…?”
he screamed, still staggering backwards. Two tiny ice skates dangled from his
right eye.
Megan froze, stunned, looking to Amy, who watched in wonderment as Lenny’s foot caught a wayward root, spilling him awkwardly sideways and back over the crest of the hill. She alone heard the sharp snap of his neck. His cries grew odd and wheezy, then stopped.
Megan froze, stunned, looking to Amy, who watched in wonderment as Lenny’s foot caught a wayward root, spilling him awkwardly sideways and back over the crest of the hill. She alone heard the sharp snap of his neck. His cries grew odd and wheezy, then stopped.
Amy
clutched her little sister. “I think it’s time to go get ice cream.”
“I’m telling mommy Lenny broke my door,” Megan declared.
“I’m telling mommy Lenny broke my door,” Megan declared.
~by taree
Belardes
NYC FLASH FICTION CONTEST 2017
Prompts;
Prompts;
Genre; Thriller
Location; A radio tower
Object; Ice Skates
Time limit; 48 hrs
Word limit; 1000 words
(Winner grp 14 semi-final round)
(Winner grp 14 semi-final round)


No comments:
Post a Comment