When those who are entrusted with the public health put profits above people,
bad things happen
Sharon strides down the colorless
hallway of the Ambassador Suites Hotel. Its claim to fame lies in hosting
today’s Freestanding Ambulatory Surgery Center Association Trade Show each
year, in Franklin, Massachusetts. Up ahead, from the grand ballroom, voices of
health workers and pharmaceutical reps plying their wares bubble up the
corridor like soda exploding from a bottle. She pauses at the entrance to get
her bearings.
“You just missed the chorus line. If you
stick around, you might catch the encore.”
Sharon looks left to find a dark-haired man in a three-piece suit
lounging against the back wall. His smile reveals startling good teeth. She
smiles back.
“Nicholas Ambrosini,” he says, extending
his hand. “Actually, Nick. Pharma rep extraordinaire for the Good Life
Compounding Center in Braxton.” He flicks a business card into view in one
deft, nearly magical motion.
“Ummm, impressive,” Sharon says. “Is this your M.O? Ambushing potential clients right at the
front door?” Sharon grins, taking his card. “Sharon Swan, smart-ass nurse and
facility director at New Horizons Outpatient Neurosurgery Center here in
Franklin.”
“Umm, impressive yourself. Actually, I
was taking a break. You interrupted my reverie, otherwise known as tuning out.”
“As I recall, you spoke first.”
“Only a dead man could ignore you,” he
replies, pushing off from the wall.
“What? You’re not even going to try to
sell me?” Sharon calls after him, oddly disappointed, yet somehow relieved.
“We’ll see each other again out there in
the fray, I imagine. I’ll wait till you’re surrounded, then I’ll rescue you,”
Nick chuckles, stepping away. Sharon strains to follow his silhouette until it
melts into the crowd.
Spending the day wheeling and dealing
with industry salespeople is exhausting. Greeting old contacts, glad-handing
new ones. By the end of the day, she’s juggling gadgets, business cards, and
pamphlets with both hands.
“You haven’t needed rescuing all day,”
Nick says, suddenly stepping up to unburden her.
“I try not to get in positions where I
require rescuing,” she says, offering up her day’s accumulation.
“You plan to spend a lonely night in
your hotel room, or are you up for some company and dinner?”
Sharon wonders if he is asking a bigger
question.
“If you’re nervous, I can throw in my
sales pitch over dessert. A twofer!” he quips. “Game?”
Sharon laughs in spite of herself. “I
never could resist a bargain. I suppose, as long as we don’t leave the hotel.”
“Hotel restaurant?”
“Fine.”
“The bar in thirty minutes?”
“Make it forty-five.”
Sharon is hastily freshening up in her
room when her cell phone zings to life. It’s a message from her boss, “SAVE US
MONEY!”
***
Nick raises his glass in a toast.
“Here’s to our very first date, which could be the beginning of a long and
beautiful relationship.”
“I assume you mean financial.”
“Well, that maybe depends on you,” he
winks.
“Financial,” Sharon laughs.
Nick nods in response. “In that case,
allow me to demonstrate my powers of persuasion!”
It’s
purely business,
Sharon sighs, but relaxes, enjoying his company.
Nick proves to
be funny and warm. After dinner, he waves down the dessert cart. “I promised
you dessert,” he says, smiling broadly.
“That’s not all you promised.”
“Have I forgotten something?”
“Your pitch! You promised to pitch me
over dessert!” she laughs again. It feels good to laugh.
“So I did. What have you come looking
for?” he asks, his eyes twinkling.
“What have you got to offer?”
“Financially? I thought you’d never
ask!”
The two burst out laughing, unable to continue the banter.
“You know, seriously, if I can talk
business for a minute, you probably use a lot of steroids in your pain
management program right?” Sharon nods, so Nick continues, “I bet I can beat
what you’re paying now. I’ve got an injectable methylprednisolone acetate
solution that I can make a good deal on.”
Sharon is intrigued. Much of her
clinic’s workday is spent injecting steroids into hips, joints, and backs.
Maybe she’d lucked into a great alternative to the usual pharmacies her
outpatient center uses. By the time coffee is served, the two have hammered out
a deal that will save her company $1.33 per vial, and she is completely charmed
by Nick’s natural good looks and good nature.
“Here’s to fabulous first dates!” she
says finally, raising her cup to seal the deal. Nick toasts in reply.
***
Mark Fisk, a
supervisory pharmacist at Nick’s company, GLCC, steps over a dirty mat in an
area known as the Clean Room. He prepares a 12.5 liter stock of the injectable
steroid, methylprednisolone acetate.
Proper sterilization procedures require exposing the drugs to high-pressure saturated steam at 121 degrees in an autoclave for at least twenty minutes. Fisk uses the autoclave for only fifteen, five minutes short of the minimum time required—a shortfall that, if extended over an eight-hour day, will allow for at least two extra batches of drugs to be produced. Fisk extends this autoclave shortfall not for just one day, and not for two. Fisk extends it for seven months. Throughout all this time, unbeknownst to his own pharma rep, GLCC is making millions of dollars by cutting corners, and sending contaminated medicine out into the world.
Proper sterilization procedures require exposing the drugs to high-pressure saturated steam at 121 degrees in an autoclave for at least twenty minutes. Fisk uses the autoclave for only fifteen, five minutes short of the minimum time required—a shortfall that, if extended over an eight-hour day, will allow for at least two extra batches of drugs to be produced. Fisk extends this autoclave shortfall not for just one day, and not for two. Fisk extends it for seven months. Throughout all this time, unbeknownst to his own pharma rep, GLCC is making millions of dollars by cutting corners, and sending contaminated medicine out into the world.
***
Like any good salesman, Nick calls
Sharon at least every few months. “Hey! How’s my perfect first date?” he jokes,
which makes Sharon smile every time. They always flirt shamelessly, but today
Sharon disengages.
“Listen, I’d love to talk longer, but
I’ve got challenging new patient I need to follow up on.”
“Anything
interesting?”
“Well, it’s tricky. I’ve got a young
pregnant woman who was sent by her OB for her hip pain, but her pregnancy
presents problems, as you can imagine. We’re trying to manage her pain with the
least effect on the baby. We’ve not been very successful so far, so assessing a
next step. Probably steroids at some point, but not now.”
“Well, I know you’ll do what’s best.
We’ll talk later. I might be able to visit this month.”
“That’ll be great!”
As Sharon hangs up the phone, down the
hall, another of her patients, Mike Hutchins, is bracing for a spinal steroid
injection for a slipped disk. The doctor unwraps a sterile syringe, inserts it
into a vial of liquid steroid from GLCC, and pulls back the plunger. He then
carefully slides the needle into Hutchins’ back.
Sharon is making follow-up calls when
she learns their long time patient, Eddie Chin, is barely clinging to life at
University Hospital. His wife tells Sharon he’d suffered a mild stroke but had
been expected to recover. Then his health plummeted. She and her children had
been clinging to the belief that he would get better, but now, less than a
month after his last steroid injection at New Horizons, they were gathering to
say their goodbyes. Sharon offers condolences and solemnly whites out his name
in the appointment book.
After lunch, she looks up to see one of
the 2:30 appointments waddling through the front door. Maria Rojas’ pregnant
belly proceeds her. “Hi Maria, how are you today?”
“The same,” Maria says. “My doctor’s
being cautious about steroids until I’m farther along. I’m praying today’s the
day he’ll tell me they’ll be okay. I can hardly stand the pain anymore.”
“Well, I hope you get good news.”
“Me too,” Maria says, turning down a
nearby hallway. Fifteen minutes later, she’s back, shoulders slumped. “Still
too early,” she says, clearly on the verge of tears.
“I’m sorry, Maria,” Sharon says.
*
**
Dr. April Stearns is perplexed. A
thirty-five-year-old internist at University Hospital, she has been reviewing
the medical records of newly admitted Mike Hutchins, and nothing makes sense.
Hutchins had come to the hospital complaining of nausea and fatigue. After
blood tests, a spinal tap, and a CAT scan, the team had diagnosed him with
community-acquired meningitis, loaded him up with antibiotics, and sent him
home. Now, he is back. His speech is incomprehensible. He is agitated and
suffering headaches. “I’m ordering another spinal tap,” Dr. Stearns informs his
family. She follows that with an order
for intravenous antibiotics. Again
Hutchins rallies, but on his sixth day in the hospital, he shows signs of
seizures and his face droops.
Stearns has a thought—a long shot.
Bacteria is the most frequent cause of meningitis, but could the problem be far
rarer? She orders a re-examination of Hutchins’ spinal fluid. The results come
back positive for Aspergillus fumigatus, a fungus usually found in decaying
organic matter, like a compost heap. Somehow, it is growing inside this
Massachusetts machinist, slowly killing him.
Doctors quiz the family about anything
unusual he might have done in the weeks before the symptoms appeared. Someone
mentions his steroid injection at New Horizons and it is duly noted in his
records.
As the doctors work on piecing the
puzzles together, the fungus from GLCC is tearing Hutchins apart. Brain tissue
dies as vessels became blocked or leak. On the eleventh day, he abruptly
becomes unresponsive and starts shaking his head rhythmically. He is placed on
a ventilator, but his brain starts to swell. Doctors cut a hole in his skull
and set up a catheter to drain excess liquid.
His seizures continue.
The next day, Doctor Stearns is still
battling to correct Hutchins’ deteriorating condition. She emails the Tennessee
Department of Health with a copy of the lab results showing the fungal
infection. State officials immediately ask for more information. She sends them her patient’s records. They
notice the notation about the steroid injection, and call St. John’s Hospital,
where the New Horizons Outpatient Neurosurgery Center is based. They discover doctors there are treating two
other patients for meningitis besides Hutchins. No one has connected the dots
to Eddie Chin.
Health official scramble to identify
the source of the outbreak. A query phone call to New Horizons is forwarded to
Sharon Swan, who immediately follows up on her out-patient Hutchins’ present
condition. With shaking hands, she picks up the phone.
“GLCC. Nick Ambrosini.”
“Nick! Something’s happened!” Sharon cries, with barely controlled panic.
“What? No lively banter? So unlike you...”
“NICK!” Sharon interrupts. “The CDC just
called our facility about a meningitis outbreak. Do you know anything?”
“What did they
say?”
“They’re asking about contaminated
medicine. They think some of my patients have been infected.”
“WHAT?”
“They’re DYING, Nick! Do you know
anything about this? Have I been wrong to trust you?”
“Sharon, I promise I don’t! Maybe my
director knows something. Shall I ring him?”
“Put him on NOW!” Sharon commands. “I’ll
get my director in on the call. We need answers!”
“Hold on.”
Sharon and her
boss drill GLCC’s director concerning the outbreak.
“This could not possibly be coming from
us,” he states confidently, adding that his company complies with all sterility
procedures in their state-of-the-art facility. “You should come for a visit,”
he suggests.
They take the director at his word,
leaving themselves still unaware that lurking inside their surgery center’s
newest vials of methylprednisolone, a deadly fungus, which under a microscope
would resemble a monstrous dandelion, floats.
Within twenty-four hours, state
officials alongside the U.S. Centers for Disease Control have identified eight
patients with meningitis, all of whom are thought to have received steroid
shots at New Horizons. A state official calls GLCC to inform it of the
investigation and to identify lot numbers, but GLCC executives insist there
have been no other complaints about their drugs.
The next morning, state health agents raid GLCC. They are horrified by what they find. While employees are desperately scrubbing the Clean Rooms with bleach, the filthiness of the place cannot be covered up. A leaky boiler stands in a pool of stagnant water; powder hoods, designed to suck microscopic particles out of the room are covered with dirt and fuzz; and the air intake comes from vents that are thirty yards from a dust-spewing recycling plant. It’s a hotbed of contamination.
The next morning, state health agents raid GLCC. They are horrified by what they find. While employees are desperately scrubbing the Clean Rooms with bleach, the filthiness of the place cannot be covered up. A leaky boiler stands in a pool of stagnant water; powder hoods, designed to suck microscopic particles out of the room are covered with dirt and fuzz; and the air intake comes from vents that are thirty yards from a dust-spewing recycling plant. It’s a hotbed of contamination.
They shut GLCC down and confiscate
numbered lots of steroids, announcing a massive recall, but it is too late.
This same day, Eddie Chin loses his battle and becomes GLCC’s first casualty.
***
Maria Rojas has finally reached the
gestation point at which her baby might safely tolerate a small steroid
solution. While she is preparing for her
afternoon appointment at New Horizons, officials at the CDC receive the worst
possible news. The outbreak is not limited to Massachusetts. Reports are coming
in from North and South Carolina, Tennessee, Michigan, and Georgia.
Two-hundred, seventy-three people have been hospitalized so far, with thirteen
already dead. This number is bound to rise.
Maria arrives
at New Horizons and initials the sign-in sheet.
“How are you feeling, Maria?” Sharon
asks the now familiar patient.
“Hangin’ in there,” Maria replies,
although Sharon can see the pain etched into her face.
“Well, hopefully, today you’ll get some relief.
You’ve done well, for the sake of your baby,” Sharon tells her.
“God. I hope so. It’s been hell trying
to make it through this much pain for so long. With every pound I gain, it just
gets worse. I wasn’t sure how much longer I’d be able take it. My baby’s
reached the stage where the doctor thinks we can try a tiny dose and we should
be okay.”
“Got my fingers crossed for you, honey,”
Sharon says, standing to give Maria a hug and point her down the hallway to
examining room #6.
“Well, today’s the day we’ve been
waiting for, Maria,” her doctor says, as his nurse sets a vial of liquid
steroid labeled GLCC-Lot#055721 on a metal tray, then fishes in a drawer for a
syringe. “I’m being very conservative, starting with the smallest possible
dose. Are you ready?” he asks. The nurse unwraps a sterile hypodermic and
proceeds to draw filmy liquid up into its cavity.
“I’m ready,”
Maria replies.
Sharon has just returned to her
paperwork when the jangle of the phone makes her jump. The words ‘Good Life
Compounding Center’ light up on her caller I.D.
“What’s up,
Nick?”
“Sharon! Something terrible has
happened…”
Nick’s next words are so loud that
Sharon has to hold the phone away from her ear.
“IT’S THE METHYLPREDNISONELONE!”
Sharon’s face blanches from healthy pink
to chalk-white. “Oh my God. MARIA!”
Flinging the phone aside so hard it
shatters, she launches herself like a torpedo from behind her desk and bolts
for examining room #6.
Inside, the nurse hands over the syringe
containing the poisonous steroidal concoction as Maria winces prematurely and
covers her eyes, readying for the prick.
With a resounding crash, the door to the
exam room hurls open.
“STOOOOPPPP!” Sharon bellows as she
lunges forward to protect her patient.
***
A month later, at a corner table in the
Café Bellissimo, Sharon struggles to say what’s on her mind. “Your phone call saved my patient’s life,”
she tells Nick, looking deep into his eyes.
“I finally found a way to rescue you,”
Nick says, bowing to kiss her hand.
~ by taree Belardes
NYC Short Story Contest 2017
1 week, 2500 words,
Genre:
Thriller
Subject:
A first date
Character to include: A pharmacist


No comments:
Post a Comment