FRESH GARBAGE
On
Halloween, bullies aren’t the only monsters lurking in the shadows of Morely’s
Dump
“No, Claire, I don't want to go to any damn
Halloween party.”
“Come on. Why not?”
“I lost my
kid brother on Halloween.”
“Lost, like,
in a crowd?”
“No. Lost…as in dead.”
Claire’s eyes widened.
Ok, it’s out.
Now just tell her. She will still like
you. You'll see.
“Joey, honey, you can tell me what happened”
“I don’t know how you’ll take it.”
“Try me, Joe. I’m here
for you.” She stroked my arm.
Maggots writhed
in the back of my throat.
“God Claire…I was only sixteen. Mikey was ten. My
parents stuck me with him on Halloween. I
was mad. The
guys and I were going to mess around, get some treats, maybe play some tricks,
and I’m stuck
with Mikey. We’re hanging at the corner, when Eddie gets this big idea to drive
out to
Morely’s Garbage Dump and mess with the Devil Dogs.”
“Devil Dogs?”
“Yeah, that’s what we called them.”
“Ok…wha....never mind…go on.”
“Well,
everybody jumped on the idea, so we took off in Eddie’s pick-up. Morely’s
property was
originally an
old government testing ground. People whispered about mutant animals or’
something, so
they gave him a hundred year lease, cheap, with a non-disclosure agreement to
turn it into
a dump. He thought he’d struck gold. Everything was kosher for twenty years, then
ol’ Morely suddenly
let his junkyard dogs off their chains
and locked the place up tight. Nobody knew why. He never let
a soul back in and nobody ever saw him again. I know now it was because of the
pit.”
“The pit?”
Claire asked.
“Smack in the middle of that dump. All sorts of wild
tales about it, because over years of
dumping, it never filled up. We figured chemicals
were just disintegrating stuff, but with those
Devil Dogs
guarding it, nobody could get close…stories spread like crazy.”
“Come on,
Stephen, Devil Dogs? Really?”
“Morely’s dogs were black as pitch and mean as the devil’s
midnight. Their eyes glowed gold
under the
right moon. We’d tried breaching that gate before, to get to the pit, but we’d
always
chickened
out. That night, we were daring each other again to go for it, when Eddie
noticed a
hole…small
enough for a kid to squeeze through.
Eddie’d been goading me to tackle the razor
wire up top,
but when he saw that hole, he started in on Mikey.
'Mikey was scared, hell, everybody was, but he
wanted to prove he wasn’t a weenie, so he gave
in. I could
have stopped it there. Silent tears were sliding down his cheeks…but I was a
bully,
just like the
rest.
“The plan
was, we’d distract the dogs with beef sticks from our treat bags, while Mikey
slipped
through and
made for the pit. Mikey’s lip quivered as he climbed out of the truck. Eddie
must
have seen it
too, because suddenly, he rummaged in his glove box for the walkie-talkies he
kept
for off-roading, and tossed one to Mikey.
‘Here
kid,’ he said. ‘If you get into trouble…call.’
Mikey shoved it into his pocket, then with a last
pleading look, trudged off. He looked so
pitiful
I almost gave
in….almost.”
“What then, Joey?” Claire asked, sliding a tumbler of
Scotch into my hand.
“Well, Mikey slips through, and those dogs come
crashing out of the blackness, their eyes all lit
like-jack-o-lanterns, and the boys just
freeze, forgetting the beef sticks, forgetting everything,
because those
dogs aren’t barking at us…they’re hunkered down facing the pit, growling real
low, like
they got something cornered. I yell for my brother, as the radio crackles to
life and
Mikey’s
crying, calling my name through the static, and I run to the gate, screaming
for
him….but it’s
not the dogs he’s afraid of….”
“Oh God!...Morely?”
Claire gasps.
“Not Morely…and I swear this is true! Something dark
rises up out of the pit. First shadow, then
shape,
rearing up, a behemoth in the moonlight…with grotesque mounds of roiling,
rotting filth,
dripping and foul, the putrid smell of decomposition, corrupting the breeze.
I can see carcasses
and moldy
sofas, end tables and car parts, and they’re rearranging themselves as if lost
in a
gigantic
carnivorous jig-saw puzzle made of generations of festering garbage, alive, and
silhouetted by the moon…. and its eyes…they’re
burning.”
“Burning?”
“Burning?”
“Burning…like on fire with some kind of savage
hunger. Parts are falling from it as it rises, a
refrigerator…an
old tire… a dead deer…a lawnmower, blades gnashing…and all the time my
little
brother is screaming…screaming for me…looking frantically for somewhere to
hide.
There’s an
old panel truck…the radio’s still crackling…he scrambles up onto the hood hoping
he’ll be safe there…
and that’s when the Devil Dogs
charge, vicious and snapping at the repulsive
edges of this
abomination, with its burning eyes and falling debris…then suddenly, with no
warning, that
Garbage Monster spreads out its great perverted arms and descends on Mikey,
'The radio goes dead and we run for our lives. Back
to the truck, back to the city…we leave him behind.”
“You LEFT him?” Claire whispers, recoiling like I’m diseased.
“You LEFT him?” Claire whispers, recoiling like I’m diseased.
“They found Mikey at sun-up…said we’d pushed him.
Said he’d fallen off the truck and broken
his neck…and if that’s the truth, thank you, Jesus,
because those burning eyes, they wanted him,
and something deep inside me knew they wanted him alive, or we’d never have
found his body.”
I sat back realizing I was sweating, head lowered,
afraid to meet Claire’s eyes.
“Well, that’s quite a story, Stephen.”
I looked up sharply. I’d spent twenty years
forgetting those exact words. Claire’s face became
my mother’s, one month before I’d gone to prison,
and one month before she’d cut up grandma’s
quilt and hung herself in the stairwell.
Right then, I knew there’d be no second chances, and
no more ‘Claire and me’, just as surely as I
knew those Devil Dogs never lived inside Morely’s
Dump to keep anything out….they lived
instead, to keep something, with its carnivorous, burning
eyes, in.
~by taree Belardes
NYC FLASH FICTION COMP 2014
~by taree Belardes
NYC FLASH FICTION COMP 2014

No comments:
Post a Comment